Oct 15, 2010

Spread The Word

I placed postcards and flyers in an envelope with the following letter because I want to spread the word about TuDiabetes.org  TheTuDiabetes.org website is dedicated to connecting people touched by diabetes.

November 14 is World Diabetes Day.  Awareness is a step in the direction of finding a solution to the epidemic proportions of our people (young and not so young) who are being diagnosed with this disease every day.

I did not take it seriously until I myself was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last April.  It came upon me without warning other than close family members have it.  I have avoided bleached flours and sugars most days of my adult life.  I was certain I'd avoid the daily blood monitoring too.  Alas, I was wrong about that.
 
I have Type 2 Diabetes.  My body makes insulin only it doesn't make enough or the kind that my body needs to deal with the body breaking down carbohydrates that I eat.  Carbs - you know the white flour and sugary stuff or the baked stuff or how about the fruits and some vegetable stuff too? 

Another valuable website is one by Riva Greenberg, an author and Diabetes Educator.  Riva is dedicated to spreading the word about diabetes too.  Please check into her web site at http://www.diabetesstories.com/ where you will find access to a plethora of information.

Diabetes is not about eating sugar or not eating sugar.  It is not to be blamed on the people who are genetically predisposed to contracting it.  It is a complex medical issue that is not well understood. For me, diabetes became an opportunity to learn a great deal more than I thought I already knew and an opportunity for me to share what I learn with others.  Please feel free to copy my letter as a template for you if you find that you would like to pass information along to any of your medical team or for any other reason(s).  All my best to you and thank you for stopping by! 

October 13, 2010

To My Medical Team,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Self-Management of my Type 2 Diabetes.

I wanted to fill you in briefly. I am feeling well and enjoying a 35 plus pound weight loss. I aim to lose at least 30 more in coming year.

My latest A1C is 6.1. I will get a copy of the blood work and forward it to you if you would like.

I have a suggestion for improving the education program for your diabetic patients. In my research, I came across a wonderful educational website and have taken the liberty to enclose some brochures for you to pass on to patients. I have committed to spread the word about this free tool and wanted to pass info along hoping you will look into it and spread the word. The site is invaluable in community, blogs, information and generally a very supportive environment. I have written a blog and taken the liberty to enclose a copy to toot my own horn.

I trust this finds you well; I look forward to hearing from you again and hope that you find the TuDiabetes.org website useful for your patients.

Yours faithfully,
Denise

2 comments:

Bugs (in the Mojave) said...

Denise~ you look like a million dollars~ and that is an understatement. Bless your heart~ you are so proactive in your fight against diabetes. Good for you and inspiration to those who know you.
hugs, Barbara Sparks

Unknown said...

@Bugs - thank you for the compliment and for your enthusiasm. I appreciate the input! I had no idea there would be so much to learn about diabetes.