Aug 29, 2010

Wanda Purcell

Last Thursday evening I was in the kitchen making chili.  Blue our 11 year old collie was tied out front and barking - a lot.  I went to the front door to try and settle her down when my neighbor Wanda Purcell came through the front bushes sweet talking to Blue. 

As is her custom, the dog will frequently greet neighbors and visitors with her Lassie-type, high pitched barking.  Blue is hard to ignore.  Our neighbors often come to say hello to Blue who immediately settles down once they have said hello, and can go on their way.  Wanda came over to visit with Blue and joined me inside for a visit before she headed back home. 

Wanda was in a delightful mood.  She and Jim were celebrating - that the siding on their house was completed that day.  Indeed it looks grand.  Wanda was debating about trimming back the Butterfly, Rose,  & Hydrangea bushes that grow gloriously in their front yard.  I have the best view in the neighborhood of  the flowers because  my office window overlooks Wanda's garden.  Every spring and summer I enjoy watching the seasons unfold through the gift of Wanda's green thumb.

 "The house looks so good." she'd said," Jim and I are thinking of cutting back the flowers so it can be seen from the road." 
I laughed and said, "They'll only grow back. I remember how you cut all those bushes back last fall.  They are bigger than ever now.   Everything you touch explodes with life!"

Her green thumb and my lack there of was a joke between us.  I can plant daisies and they will not take.  Wanda would plant daisies and they multiply.  She had pansies that actually bloomed in January!  Our yards are across the street from eachother.  Does ten feet really make that much difference?  Wanda would say, "Denise, you don't fertilize and there isn't enough sun shining there."

Wanda tasted my chili and advised me about adding a few spices.  I had them all on hand and I was happy to follow her instructions.  She took the spoon out of my hand and started stirring the pot on the stove- "This is how you do it" she said, "Don't worry, I won't make a mess."  Then we laughed as the chili splattered all over the counter and stovetop.  It was a great visit that ended with a hug.  Wanda left making me promise to give her a taste of the chili on Friday for lunch. "You've got a deal, Wanda.  I'll see you tomorrow." 

My friend and neighbor Wanda died suddenly on Thursday night. While I ate lunch on Friday, my Vinny was driving Wanda's Jim to Boston to pick up their son.  I miss her already.

Wanda lit up this neighborhood with her singing, her stories, her flowers and warmth.  I can't grasp that she is gone.  Rest in peace sweet friend.  I am so thankful that you were my neighbor these last 10 years. 

9 comments:

The Mud Bugs....... said...

Denise our deepest sympathy to you and Vin on the loss of your great friend and neighbor. May she rest in peace....

God Bless
Karyn & Leo

jedawson said...

this is so nice Denise. The obit was so nicely written with the holidays and how much Wanda loved to celebrate...Especially Halloween which my kids had gotten a kick out of visiting Miss Wanda's house. Please give our regards to the family...We miss all of you!
xo the Dawson

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jen. The obit was beautifully written - I agree. Every kid in the neighborhood got a kick out of visiting Miss Wanda's house. She would start setting up in September. She sure did love to celebrate.
We miss you all too! Be safe! xoxo D

Unknown said...

Karyn & Leo,
We appreciate your kind words, thoughts and prayers. xo

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Denise. I wish I had known Wanda. My sympathy in your loss
Judy

Unknown said...

Thank you, J.

Sandy said...

What a lovely tribute to Wanda, Denise. I feel like I know her, though never met. You, Vinny and Wanda's family are in my prayers for peace, comfort, and strength in the hard days ahead. xoxoxo Sandy

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have been Wanda's neighbor for the past ten years. May you continue to experience the joy of her spirit as you look out on Wanda's flower garden with the coming of each new season.

Pat Gainor (patriciagainor@verizon.net)

Unknown said...

Pat - it indeed has been a great blessing being Wanda's neighbor. She is with us in spirit.
xo D